Florence’s Ponte Vecchio, one of the city’s best-known landmarks and the only Florentine bridge to survive the Second World War bombings, is set to undergo the first large-scale conservation restoration in its history.
The first phase of the project will begin on Monday 25 May with preliminary site operations. According to the City of Florence, the works are intended to preserve and enhance the medieval bridge after centuries of repairs and structural interventions, but without any comprehensive restoration programme focused on cleaning, conservation and aesthetic improvement.
Mayor Sara Funaro said the bridge is both a symbol of Florence and a place deeply connected to the city’s identity and history. She described the restoration as a responsibility toward future generations and said preserving Florence’s heritage requires ongoing care and investment.
The first section of the works will focus on the bridge’s piles, abutments and cutwaters — the structural elements either submerged in or directly exposed to the waters of the Arno river. Operations will be carried out entirely from floating platforms in order to minimise disruption on the bridge itself.
The floating pontoons will be moored near the access ramp from Piazza Mentana, close to the Uffizi area. They will be repositioned daily depending on the stage of the restoration work. Most of the activity is expected to take place between June and the end of September.
A €1.6 million restoration project
The overall project is valued at just over €1.637 million.
The first phase alone, worth €1 million, covers the river-level structural work and can only be carried out during specific periods of the year because of river conditions.
The city said the bridge shows signs of deterioration caused by long-term exposure to weather, humidity and the Arno’s changing water levels, including floods. The restoration will therefore include cleaning operations and repairs to damaged stone and masonry using techniques and materials designed to be compatible with the historic structure.
Preparatory studies, structural monitoring systems and surveys had already been completed using floating platforms before the start of the restoration programme.
A second phase of the project, worth around €637,000, will focus on the bridge deck, including the stone paving and the wing walls. That stage will require work directly on the bridge surface.
A third phase, covering the arches and façades, is planned for a later stage and is expected to be financed through private donations using Italy’s Art Bonus cultural funding scheme.
Limited impact expected for visitors and pedestrians
City officials said the restoration site has been designed to reduce disruption as much as possible for pedestrians, residents and tourists. During the first phase, most of the work will happen from the river rather than from the bridge deck itself.
Ponte Vecchio was originally built in the 14th century and remains one of the most visited sites in Florence, known for its rows of jewellery shops and its position linking the historic centre with the Oltrarno district.
(Cover photo: Daniel Seßler via Unsplash)
❤️ Support Florence Daily News
If you liked this article, please consider supporting Florence Daily News.
We are an independent news site, free from paywalls and intrusive ads, committed to providing clear and reliable reporting on Florence and Tuscany for everyone.
Your support — whether a one-time gift or a regular contribution — helps us stay independent and keep telling the stories that matter.
Donate securely via Stripe below.
Make a one-time donation
Make a monthly donation
Make a yearly donation
Choose an amount
Or enter a custom amount
Your contribution is appreciated.
Your contribution is appreciated.
Your contribution is appreciated.
DonateDonate monthlyDonate yearlyDiscover more from Florence Daily News
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.
